family home visiting
Parenting for the Future
We build skills with parents who have cognitive limitations adversely affecting their parenting skills and who have a child under age five living at home. While we build parenting skills, we also ensure that children are developmentally on-track.
Services That Support Your Needs.
We provide parenting education, access to community resources and joint activities for parents and children to build their relationship.
- Parent education through classroom instruction weekly (min 1 hour per session). Group activities include education, support, living skills and skills-based therapy, individualized goal setting for families, and parent/child activities and music therapy activities. Nutritious meals are included for parents and children.
- Home visits to ensure that parenting skills learned in groups are transferred to the home.
- Transportation provided for parents and children to activities and groups.
- Connecting families to community resources. We accompany parents and advocate for a variety of their needs during visits and appointments.
- For children, we provide immunizations and Well-Child checkups.
- We offer developmental screenings for your child. If needed, we offer early therapy intervention. Therapies include speech, occupational, physical, music and play therapy to enhance learning potential.
- We offer early childhood education and developmental support for children age infant to five years at our preschools. We may refer to The Family Partnership preschools.
Who is this for?
Parents with cognitive limitations adversely affecting their parenting skills who have at least one child under age five living at home.
How do I enroll?
Referrals are made by Hennepin County, hospitals, MVNA nurses, social workers and other agencies.
Individuals with undiagnosed, but suspected learning challenges may be accepted to the program if any of the following characteristics are identified:
- Enrollment in special education classes in grade school and/or high school or did not complete high school
- Difficulty with reading and/or writing
- Needs help in recognizing cues and needs of children
- Currently receiving or has applied for Social Security disability income
- Could benefit from a supportive environment focused on parenting and self-esteem
What is the cost?
This program is fully funded by Hennepin County.
Where is it located?
We conduct Home Visits. Hours as arranged.
Parenting groups and child therapies are available at The Family Partnership, 1501 Xerxes Avenue North, Minneapolis, MN 55411.
I want to be a wonder mom who is loving and supportive and cheering her on to develop into a great person.Nicole, Program Participant talking about her daughter
For further information on the program or enrollment, please contact:
Director of Home Visiting Programs